Notable and unique career as an orthopaedic surgeon with in-depth and wide-breadth entrepreneurial, corporate and non-profit experience in operations leadership, process reengineering, information technology, and innovation design. Demonstrated agility developing and executing strategy, synthesizing and translating complex ideas, concepts and information, and persuasively and passionately selling, educating and advising key stakeholders. Winner of various awards for innovation, success and service and a recent patent. Published author of numerous white papers, review articles, book chapters, abstracts, and blogs and frequent speaker at international and national conferences and symposiums on information technology, electronic media, joint reconstruction, practice management, science and orthopaedic surgery. Characteristics attributed to success are the ability to develop meaningful and sustained relationships, manage multiple, large scale projects, goal orientation and a sense of humor.
IT Innovation in Medicine:
- Developed a graphical on-line service for doctors in1983 called ProMedicine and signed an exclusive contract with Prodigy (IBM & Sears) to develop this service.
- Developed a novel surgical tracking program in 1994 which was sold by an Orthopaedic company.
- Designed and implemented a cloud-based medical database, SurgiTrak which manages all clinical administrative processes, including surgical booking, tracking inpatient cases and social work which also produces business intelligence to facilitate decision making about resources, revenue growth and staffing.
- Founding Executive Director of Medscape Orthopaedics
- Founded and developed ReferralPad an online Doctor-to-Doctor physician referral social network currently in beta testing.
Clinical Orthopaedics Medical Delivery Systems Using LEAN Processes:
- Won the 1994 James A. Vohs Award for Quality, a Kaiser national award given to one physician annually who provides outstanding quality of care and service to patients, with an emphasis on multi-disciplinary teamwork for developing a quality joint program.
- Restructured the Orthopaedic medical delivery system for Bronx-Lebanon Hospital Center, a medical system with 955 inpatient beds and one million outpatient visits, taking a department in the red and increasing operating room, outpatient, and financial productivity.
Education and Academic Production:
- Invented the Orthopaedic Academy CD Multimedia Case series, which generated significant revenue for The American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons.
- Authored and edited the monograph “Computers in Clinical Orthopaedics,” and two major review articles for the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons on Electronic Medical Records.
BRONXCARE HEALTH SYSTEM, BRONX, NY
Chairman, Department of Orthopaedics
Recruited to turn around and lead unprofitable small department staffed with disgruntled doctors and employees.
Built Orthopaedics team from three professionals to over 30 doctors, PAs, and administrative staff; report to and
liaison with hospital President and Board of Directors.
Grew Orthopaedics patient volume from 3000 to 40,000 outpatient visits and from 237 to over 2000 major operations annually in four years.
- Generated top-line revenue growth from financial loss to over $25 M with costs of less than 25%.
- Developed, programmed and deployed a cloud-based referral satellite social network to integrate a wide range of referral models in a large urban population increasing specialty referrals to the main medical center.
PRIVATE PRACTICE- JOINT REPLACEMENT CENTER
Principal and Orthopaedic Surgeon
Started a private orthopaedic clinic/specialty surgery practice which grew into one of the most dominant joint replacement practices in the United States.
- Built a high service practice from scratch to over 5000 patient visits and more than 325 major operations a year with 14 employees.
- Developed unique referral system using Google Ad Words in 22 individual NY markets which achieved over 33 million views annually.
- Designed a customer service and satisfaction model based on a data driven model.
MULTISPECIALTY ORTHOPAEDIC GROUP
Managing partner of a large multispecialty Orthopaedic group spanning three counties and multiple hospitals.
KAISER PERMANENTE, NORTHEAST REGION
Chief, Adult Reconstructive Surgery, Director of Orthopaedic Resource Management, Northeast Region
Joined fast growing national HMO with four million members to build joint replacement business.
- Negotiated an unprecedented contract between Kaiser and a local orthopaedic group to merge in a capitated contract.
Montefiore Medical Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Fellowship in Geriatric and Orthopaedic Research 1985 - 1986
Montefiore Medical Center. Bronx Municipal Hospital Center, Albert Einstein College of Medicine
Residency in Orthopaedic Surgery 1986 – 1990
The Rothman Institute, Pennsylvania Hospital, Thomas Jefferson University
1990-1991 Fellowship in Joint Replacement Surgery,
Harvard Business School Executive Education
Managing Healthcare Delivery 2011-2012
Value Measurement in Healthcare 2018